These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 06/19/18: SearchCap: Google replacing video boxes, hoarding content & more
- 06/19/18: Google changed the way it works, and no one really noticed
- 06/19/18: How to hire the right people for your marketing team
- 06/19/18: Should you keep your best content on your site or send it away?
- 06/19/18: Amazon in deal with Marriott to make Alexa a ‘virtual concierge’ in hotel rooms
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 06/19/18: The take-over of augmented and the future possibilities
- 06/18/18: ClickZ Enterprise SEO Tools Buyers Guide: Ahrefs Review
- 06/18/18: Eight steps for a bulletproof local search strategy
- 06/15/18: A guide to HTML and meta tags in 2018
- 06/14/18: Google’s ‘More Results’ button: a search marketer’s POV
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 06/19/18: Daily Search Forum Recap: June 19, 2018
- 06/19/18: Search Console Search Analytics API Gets 16 Months Of Data
- 06/19/18: Google Search Console URL Removals Take Less Than A Day
- 06/19/18: Google AdWords Tests AMP Label On Search Ads
- 06/19/18: Google: Web Light Does Not Impact Your Google Rankings
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 06/19/18: Bing Ads App Updated With New Payment Features by @MattGSouthern
- 06/19/18: Bing Ads Lets Advertisers Manage Targeting Settings in Bulk by @MattGSouthern
- 06/19/18: Technology That Will Revolutionize the Way You Think About Search by @jeremyknauff
- 06/19/18: SEO for Ecommerce: How to Write Meta & Product Descriptions by @jennyhalasz
- 06/19/18: 10 Tips to Get More Local Customers from AdWords & Facebook Ads by @lorenbaker
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 06/07/18: Google Search at I/O 2018
- 05/10/18: Our goal: helping webmasters and content creators
- 05/08/18: Google I/O 2018 - What sessions should SEOs and Webmasters watch live ?
- 05/03/18: Send your recipes to the Google Assistant
- 04/27/18: We updated our job posting guidelines
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 02/09/18: Introducing Social Login for Bing Webmaster Tools
- 09/15/17: Bing adds Fact Check label in SERP to support the ClaimReview markup
- 04/21/17: Bing refines its copyright removals process
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
- 03/19/18: Closing Data's Last-Mile Gap: Visualizing For Impact!
- 02/06/18: Five Strategies for Slaying the Data Puking Dragon.
- 01/08/18: Unsexy Fundamentals Focus: User Experiences That Print Money
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 06/19/18: An 8-Point Checklist for Debugging Strange Technical SEO Problems
- 06/18/18: Moz's Mid-Year Retrospective: Exciting Upgrades from the First Half of 2018
- 06/15/18: When Bounce Rate, Browse Rate (PPV), and Time-on-Site Are Useful Metrics... and When They Aren't - Whiteboard Friday
- 06/12/18: Trust Your Data: How to Efficiently Filter Spam, Bots, & Other Junk Traffic in Google Analytics
- 06/11/18: How a Few Pages Can Make or Break Your Website
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 06/12/18: How to Run Top-Performing eCommerce Ads in AdWords (for Less Spend)
- 06/05/18: How We Created an eCommerce Buying Guide That Led to Six-Figure Sales
- 05/24/18: How to Manage Out of Stock Products for SEO
- 05/22/18: eCommerce on Facebook and Instagram: What Leading Companies Are Doing in 2018 (Adidas, Crate and Barrel & Nixon)
- 05/14/18: Beyond Transcripts: How We Grew SEO Traffic by 45.96% for a Video Platform Site
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 06/18/18: SearchLove Boston 2018: The Great Big Round Up
- 06/04/18: Be Your Own Designer - The Best Free Resources for when You’re Short on Time
- 05/29/18: 4 Reasons Why SEO Courses Aren’t Taught in College and How to Learn It On Your Own
- 05/24/18: How to keep Personally Identifiable Information out of Google Analytics
- 05/23/18: Four personality traits of a team and how to manage them
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.