These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 01/16/20: Case study: The true value of informational content for e-commerce SEO
- 01/16/20: Google Search Console unparsable structured data report data issue
- 01/16/20: Google January 2020 core update almost done rolling out
- 01/15/20: Google rolls out organic ‘Popular Products’ listings in mobile search results
- 01/15/20: Video: John Morabito on uncovering opportunities in branded search
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 01/16/20: Boost SEO teamwork through unexpected collaborations
- 01/15/20: Everything small businesses need to know to launch a campaign on Amazon
- 01/14/20: Anchor text variations: Your key to link profile diversity
- 01/13/20: The three pillars behind every successful content strategy
- 01/10/20: How to improve your website ranking in 2020
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 01/16/20: Daily Search Forum Recap: January 16, 2020
- 01/16/20: The Google January 2020 Core Update Is Global
- 01/16/20: Froogle Is Back - Well, Kind Of, With Free Google Popular Product Listings
- 01/16/20: Microsoft Advertising To Also Sunset Average Position
- 01/16/20: Google: Cookie Banners Are Fine For Search
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 01/17/20: Google: Structured Data Has No Impact on Ranking in Web Search via @MattGSouthern
- 01/17/20: YouTube Shows Users’ Comment History in New Profile Cards via @MattGSouthern
- 01/16/20: LinkedIn Brings 3 New Features to LinkedIn Pages via @MattGSouthern
- 01/16/20: Understanding the Role of a Technical SEO Audit via @theGypsy
- 01/16/20: How to Leverage First-Party Data to Boost PPC Performance via @iambenwood
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 01/16/20: Get Ready for New SameSite=None; Secure Cookie Settings
- 01/15/20: The Search Console Training video series is rolling out
- 12/27/19: An update on 2019
- 12/10/19: Launching a new Publisher Center
- 12/05/19: Package Tracking Early Access Program
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 01/16/20: Bing partners with the ecosystem to drive fresh signals
- 12/16/19: Announcing future user-agents for Bingbot
- 11/13/19: Accessing Bing Webmaster Tools API using cURL
- 11/04/19: Some Thoughts on Website Boundaries
- 10/09/19: The new evergreen Bingbot simplifying SEO by leveraging Microsoft Edge
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 10/21/19: All the Fitbit activity badges
- 11/04/18: Halloween 2018: Crab claws!
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 04/15/19: Responses to Negative Data: Four Senior Leadership Archetypes.
- 01/07/19: Deliver Step Change Impact: Marketing & Analytics Obsessions
- 07/24/18: The Impact Matrix | A Digital Analytics Strategic Framework
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 01/15/20: What Do High-Performance E-Commerce Websites Do Differently? Results from the 2020 KPI Study
- 01/14/20: How to Use Tools to Determine Which Content to Re-Optimize: A Step-by-Step Guide
- 01/10/20: Intro to Python - Whiteboard Friday
- 01/09/20: Find Competitive Keywords, Ranking Distributions, & Common Questions: 3 Workflows for Smarter Keyword Research
- 01/06/20: 2020 Local SEO Success: How to Feed, Fight, and Flip Google
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 01/15/20: eCommerce Metric Benchmarks: How to Analyze Your Online Store’s KPIs
- 01/07/20: Case Study: We Tested an eCommerce Trust Badge That Got More Checkout Conversions Than Norton and McAfee
- 12/09/19: Shopify Plus vs Magento 2 Commerce (Magento Enterprise): Which Platform is Best for Your eCommerce Business?
- 12/03/19: Monetate vs Certona: A Comparison of Kibo’s eCommerce Personalization Platforms
- 11/26/19: eCommerce Personalization Strategies Using Google Analytics and Other Free Tools
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 01/16/20: SEO Insights on Salesforce Community Cloud Behavior
- 01/10/20: What You Can Do With a Free SEMrush Account
- 12/13/19: Content Audit Template
- 12/11/19: SearchLove is coming to New York in 2020
- 12/09/19: Five Golden Rules for SEO Beginners - Tips From Distilled
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.