These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 09/16/19: Report alleges Amazon manipulating search results to boost its products, profit
- 09/16/19: Google Search Console adds Datasets to enhancement reports section
- 09/16/19: Google cracks down on some review rich results
- 09/16/19: Google tests “in this video” search feature
- 09/16/19: Here’s a script to spice up your Facebook demographics reporting
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 09/16/19: 10 Takeaways from the state of SEO survey
- 09/13/19: How to lead SEO teams and track its performance effectively: Experts’ tips
- 09/12/19: SEO is a team sport: How brands and agencies organize work
- 09/11/19: How to write landing page copy that converts like crazy
- 09/10/19: Seven SEO tips for image link building to generate more traffic
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 09/16/19: Google Search Ranking Algorithm Update Signs Heating Up More
- 09/16/19: Google Product Grid & Expandable Shopping Ads
- 09/16/19: Google Shortens Title Length In Search By ~5 Characters On Average
- 09/16/19: B.B. King, The King Of Blues, Google Doodle
- 09/16/19: Google Video Result Timeline With In This Video Snippet
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 09/16/19: Google Updates Reviews Rich Results – Check Your Structured Data via @martinibuster
- 09/16/19: 5 Ways You Can Really Steal Organic Clicks from Industry Giants via @HelenPollitt1
- 09/16/19: The Essential Guide to Using Images Legally Online via @KristiKellogg
- 09/16/19: Best Practices for Creating Infographics [Webinar] via @lorenbaker
- 09/15/19: 7 Effective Tactics to Defeat Internet Trolls via @JuliaEMcCoy
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 09/16/19: Making Review Rich Results more helpful
- 09/10/19: Evolving “nofollow” – new ways to identify the nature of links
- 09/09/19: Saying goodbye to the old Search Console
- 09/03/19: Introducing Auto-DNS verification in the new Search Console
- 08/26/19: Minor cleaning up in the Search Console API
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 09/13/19: Import sites from Search Console to Bing Webmaster Tools
- 08/21/19: Bing Webmaster Tools simplifies site verification using Domain Connect
- 06/13/19: bingbot Series: Introducing Batch mode for Adaptive URL submission API
- 05/23/19: bingbot Series: Easy set-up guide for Bing’s Adaptive URL submission API
- 01/31/19: bingbot Series: Get your content indexed fast by now submitting up to 10,000 URLs per day to Bing
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 11/04/18: Halloween 2018: Crab claws!
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 04/15/19: Responses to Negative Data: Four Senior Leadership Archetypes.
- 01/07/19: Deliver Step Change Impact: Marketing & Analytics Obsessions
- 07/24/18: The Impact Matrix | A Digital Analytics Strategic Framework
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 09/16/19: 10 Link Building Lies You Must Ignore
- 09/13/19: E-A-T and the Quality Raters' Guidelines - Whiteboard Friday
- 09/12/19: An Agency Workflow for Google My Business Dead Ends
- 09/10/19: How Google's Nofollow, Sponsored, & UGC Links Impact SEO
- 09/09/19: The Data You’re Using to Calculate CTR is Wrong and Here’s Why
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 09/16/19: 21 Field-Tested Strategies to Increase Live Chat eCommerce Conversions
- 09/05/19: Best-in-Class eCommerce Homepages: Conversion Optimization
- 08/27/19: Facebook Ads Case Study for a Furniture eCommerce Site: ROAS From 0 to 29.5 in 3 Months
- 08/14/19: Our Strategy for Building One of the Best eCommerce Agencies
- 07/30/19: eCommerce Migration Checklist: How to Migrate Your Website Without Losing Your SEO
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 09/12/19: Use Google's Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines To Assess Site Quality
- 09/10/19: Technical SEO Audit Checklist for Human Beings: September 2019 Update
- 09/03/19: Distilled Partners with London Charity to Help Young Care Leavers
- 09/02/19: "Impressions" is an Undervalued SEO KPI
- 08/27/19: Enjoy SearchLove London with some VIP treatment
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.
- 09/14/19: New Keyword Tool
- 06/30/19: AMP'd Up for Recaptcha
- 04/17/19: The Fractured Web
- 04/09/19: Keyword Not Provided, But it Just Clicks
- 04/08/19: How The Internet Happened: From Netscape to the iPhone