These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 04/19/19: Searching for facts, directions, local businesses are top digital assistant use cases, says survey
- 04/19/19: Is link building dead? Depends on who you talk to
- 04/19/19: 3 steps to signing more clients
- 04/19/19: New customer acquisition vs. retention: 7 best practices for search
- 04/19/19: Google Posts can now highlight customer testimonials in some countries
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 04/19/19: Using Python to recover SEO site traffic (Part three)
- 04/18/19: Study: How ready are businesses for voice search?
- 04/17/19: Three fundamental factors in the production of link-building content
- 04/16/19: Top 19 Instagram marketing tools to use for success
- 04/16/19: How to optimize paid search ads for phone calls
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 04/19/19: Daily Search Forum Recap: April 19, 2019
- 04/19/19: Search Buzz Video Recap: Google Bugs, Navigation Removal, AMP Updates, OMG I Donâ��t Know & More
- 04/19/19: Google: We Don't Hand Rank Web Pages, It Would Be Impossible
- 04/19/19: Google Search Console URL Parameters Tool May Change
- 04/19/19: Google Might Change How NoIndex In Robots.txt Works
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 04/20/19: Google’s John Mueller Discusses TF-IDF Algo by @martinibuster
- 04/19/19: Official AMP Plugin for WordPress Now Supports AMP Stories by @MattGSouthern
- 04/19/19: Google My Business Suggests Positive Reviews to Share as Posts by @MattGSouthern
- 04/19/19: How to Take Search Console to the Next Level with Google Data Studio by @sam_marsden
- 04/19/19: Why Content ‘Tactics’ Fail You & How to Become Relevant by @jamarketer
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 04/17/19: Instant-loading AMP pages from your own domain
- 04/10/19: Search Console reporting for your site's Discover performance data
- 04/04/19: User experience improvements with page speed in mobile search
- 03/26/19: How to discover & suggest Google-selected canonical URLs for your pages
- 03/21/19: This year in Search Spam - Webspam report 2018
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 01/31/19: bingbot Series: Get your content indexed fast by now submitting up to 10,000 URLs per day to Bing
- 12/12/18: Introducing Clarity, a product to visualize user interactions at scale to optimize conversion, engagement and retention
- 12/04/18: bingbot Series: Getting most of Bingbot via Bing Webmaster Tools
- 10/24/18: bingbot Series: Optimizing Crawl Frequency
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 11/04/18: Halloween 2018: Crab claws!
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 04/15/19: Responses to Negative Data: Four Senior Leadership Archetypes.
- 01/07/19: Deliver Step Change Impact: Marketing & Analytics Obsessions
- 07/24/18: The Impact Matrix | A Digital Analytics Strategic Framework
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 04/19/19: The One-Hour Guide to SEO: Link Building - Whiteboard Friday
- 04/18/19: 4 Unconventional Ways to Become a Better SEO
- 04/17/19: How Do I Improve My Domain Authority (DA)?
- 04/15/19: 12 Steps to Lightning Page Speed
- 04/12/19: The One-Hour Guide to SEO: Technical SEO - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 04/16/19: 16 AdWords (Google Ads) eCommerce Strategies to Maximize ROAS
- 04/02/19: Google Shopping Product Feed Optimization: How to Optimize Your Data Feed for Better Ad Performance
- 03/26/19: An SEO’s Perspective: How to Scale Quality Content Production
- 03/19/19: Edge SEO for eCommerce: How to Spend Less for Faster SEO Implementation
- 03/05/19: Inflow eCommerce Best-in-Class Research Study 2019
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 04/16/19: Reading Between the Lines - Three Deeper Takeaways from John Mueller at BrightonSEO
- 04/10/19: A Website Crawler for Search and Information Architecture
- 03/29/19: Distilled seeking less experienced speakers for SearchLove Boston 2019
- 03/28/19: How to Check Your Site Speed: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Google User Experience Report
- 03/11/19: 10 Quick Wins We Can Make Using ODN as a Meta CMS
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.
- 04/17/19: The Fractured Web
- 04/09/19: Keyword Not Provided, But it Just Clicks
- 04/08/19: How The Internet Happened: From Netscape to the iPhone
- 03/18/19: Google Florida 2.0 Algorithm Update: Early Observations
- 03/13/19: A Darker Shade of Gray