These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 11/11/19: Here’s how to set up the Google Site Kit WordPress plugin
- 11/11/19: Which SEO software is right for your company?
- 11/11/19: DuckDuckGo joins World Wide Web Consortium
- 11/11/19: Video: Danny Sullivan, Google Public Liaison of Search, on his transition from Search Engine Land to Google
- 11/08/19: How to recognize a lost cause in SEO projects and request for proposals (RFPs)
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 11/11/19: 12 Email marketing best practices for sales
- 11/08/19: Want to reduce your bounce rate, but what does that actually mean?
- 11/07/19: Page speed optimization: Six areas to focus on for better SEO results
- 11/06/19: Five sure-fire strategies to build inbound links
- 11/05/19: How to create an SEO strategy for website redesign and migration
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 11/11/19: Daily Search Forum Recap: November 11, 2019
- 11/11/19: Vlog #24: Danny Sullivan - Father Of Search Marketing & His Transition To Google
- 11/11/19: Unconfirmed Google Search Algorithm Ranking Update November 8th
- 11/11/19: Google Tests Removing Reviews From Local Knowledge Panels Again
- 11/11/19: Google's Gary Illyes: I've Talked To SEO Spam Email Senders
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 11/11/19: 5 Innovative PPC Tactics to Try Today via @navahf
- 11/11/19: Simple Ways to Delight Your First-Time Visitors: 6 Dos & 4 Don’ts via @adamproehl
- 11/11/19: BERT Explained: What You Need to Know About Google’s New Algorithm [Webinar] via @brentcsutoras
- 11/10/19: Image Link Building: How to Use Visual Content to Earn More Links via @JuliaEMcCoy
- 11/10/19: Google Update November 2019 via @martinibuster
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 10/07/19: New reports for video results in Search Console
- 10/02/19: Updating the user agent of Googlebot
- 09/30/19: Join us at a Webmaster Conference in Mountain View, California
- 09/27/19: Google Search News: coming soon to a screen near you
- 09/24/19: More options to help websites preview their content on Google Search
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 11/04/19: Some Thoughts on Website Boundaries
- 10/09/19: The new evergreen Bingbot simplifying SEO by leveraging Microsoft Edge
- 09/13/19: Import sites from Search Console to Bing Webmaster Tools
- 08/21/19: Bing Webmaster Tools simplifies site verification using Domain Connect
- 06/13/19: bingbot Series: Introducing Batch mode for Adaptive URL submission API
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 10/21/19: All the Fitbit activity badges
- 11/04/18: Halloween 2018: Crab claws!
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 04/15/19: Responses to Negative Data: Four Senior Leadership Archetypes.
- 01/07/19: Deliver Step Change Impact: Marketing & Analytics Obsessions
- 07/24/18: The Impact Matrix | A Digital Analytics Strategic Framework
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 11/11/19: The Marketing Tactics People Love (And Love to Hate) [Exclusive Survey]
- 11/08/19: What Is BERT? - Whiteboard Friday
- 11/08/19: Finding Ideas for a Video Series or Podcast - Whiteboard Friday
- 11/05/19: This Is What Happens When You Accidentally De-Index Your Site from Google
- 11/04/19: Have Your Agency’s Clients Considered a Local Product Kiosk? Google Has.
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 11/01/19: Our Winning PPC Strategy for eCommerce: How We Increased Google Ads ROAS by 76%
- 10/30/19: Google Ads Automation for eCommerce: 4 Winning Strategies for Your Online Store
- 10/10/19: SEO Mistakes: 6 Weird Errors That Can Hurt eCommerce Store Rankings and Traffic
- 09/27/19: eCommerce Upselling Case Study: 4% Increase in Revenue per User by Optimizing Upsell Placement
- 09/19/19: Why Calculating Conversion Rate by Channel and Seasonality Is Key to Properly Evaluating Site Changes
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 11/06/19: A Journey Through SEO Testing with ODN
- 11/04/19: Crawl Budget Optimisation Through Log File Analysis
- 11/01/19: What is Content Marketing?
- 10/29/19: Five Ways to Make Your Workload Less Stressful
- 10/22/19: SearchLove London 2019: The Great Big Round Up
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.