These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 06/22/19: Millions of fake Google Maps listings hurt real business and consumers
- 06/21/19: Automation layering: How PPC pros retain control when automation takes over
- 06/21/19: Google testing carousel of text ads on mobile
- 06/21/19: SMXcast: Tactics to improve your YouTube video ad performance
- 06/20/19: RSA editing comes to Google Ads app
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 06/21/19: Making the case for more non-brand funding in paid search
- 06/20/19: Five easy SEO strategies: Increase search engine rankings and gain qualified customers
- 06/19/19: How SMBs can effectively manage their online reputation on a shoestring budget
- 06/18/19: UX matters for search: Here are two reasons why
- 06/17/19: The ultimate guide to strengthen your local SEO strategy
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 06/21/19: Daily Search Forum Recap: June 21, 2019
- 06/21/19: Search Buzz Video Recap: Google Algorithm Shift, Google vs Genius Lyrics, Google Search Console, Maps, YouTube & More
- 06/21/19: Google Maps Fake Business Problem Gets Big Media Coverage
- 06/21/19: Google Allows Emojis, Links & Unicode In FAQ Rich Results - For Now...
- 06/21/19: Google Ads Carousel "People Also Considered"
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 06/23/19: WordPress Plugin SEO by RankMath Security Update via @martinibuster
- 06/23/19: 7 SEO Insights You Can Learn by Mining Your Help Desk via @drumming
- 06/22/19: Google Responds to Claims That Maps Has Millions of Fake Business Listings via @MattGSouthern
- 06/22/19: Google Ads Begins Reporting on Shopping Campaign Landing Pages via @MattGSouthern
- 06/22/19: Twitter Removes the Ability to Add Precise Location Tags to Tweets via @MattGSouthern
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 06/18/19: Bye Bye Preferred Domain setting
- 06/11/19: Webmaster Conference: an event made for you
- 06/06/19: A video series on SEO myths for web developers
- 05/28/19: Mobile-First Indexing by default for new domains
- 05/16/19: Search at Google I/O 2019
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 06/13/19: bingbot Series: Introducing Batch mode for Adaptive URL submission API
- 05/23/19: bingbot Series: Easy set-up guide for Bing’s Adaptive URL submission API
- 01/31/19: bingbot Series: Get your content indexed fast by now submitting up to 10,000 URLs per day to Bing
- 12/12/18: Introducing Clarity, a product to visualize user interactions at scale to optimize conversion, engagement and retention
- 12/04/18: bingbot Series: Getting most of Bingbot via Bing Webmaster Tools
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 11/04/18: Halloween 2018: Crab claws!
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 04/15/19: Responses to Negative Data: Four Senior Leadership Archetypes.
- 01/07/19: Deliver Step Change Impact: Marketing & Analytics Obsessions
- 07/24/18: The Impact Matrix | A Digital Analytics Strategic Framework
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 06/21/19: The Easiest PR-Focused Link Building Tip in the Book - Whiteboard Friday
- 06/20/19: The New Moz Local Is Here! Can't-Miss Highlights & How to Get Started
- 06/20/19: The Ultimate Guide to Exploring Seattle This MozCon
- 06/19/19: Did Google's Site Diversity Update Live Up to its Promise?
- 06/18/19: 5 Ways You Might Mess up When Running SEO Split Tests
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 06/17/19: Our New eCommerce Facebook Ads Strategy for Finding New Audiences with High ROAS
- 06/10/19: How an Instagram CRO Experiment Lifted Sales by Double Digits for One eCommerce Website
- 06/06/19: A Simple eCommerce SEO Tactic We Used to Help Drive 46% More Traffic to Category Pages Over 18 Months
- 05/21/19: Case Study: How Pruning This Online Store’s Blog Boosted Strategic Content Revenue by 64%
- 05/03/19: Google Shopping: How to Set Up, Optimize, and Execute Your Campaigns
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 06/19/19: PPC & SEO Synergy: Landing Page Testing, PPC & SEO Efficiencies
- 06/06/19: Why Does Distilled Have an Unlimited Breakfast Budget?
- 05/28/19: PPC & SEO Synergy: How to Find Efficiencies Between the Two Channels
- 05/16/19: 10 Years of SearchLove and Rand Fishkin: Free Video Edition
- 05/09/19: Competitor Analysis: A Structured Approach
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.
- 04/17/19: The Fractured Web
- 04/09/19: Keyword Not Provided, But it Just Clicks
- 04/08/19: How The Internet Happened: From Netscape to the iPhone
- 03/18/19: Google Florida 2.0 Algorithm Update: Early Observations
- 03/13/19: A Darker Shade of Gray