These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 11/17/17: SEO + UX = Success
- 11/17/17: SearchCap: Google My Business, PBN links & more
- 11/17/17: Private blog networks: A great way to get your site penalized
- 11/17/17: Where to go next with your Google My Business listing
- 11/17/17: Search in Pics: Google Polish dress-up, old Urchin sign & Android winter statue
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 11/17/17: Black Friday SEO: Last-minute tips for the holiday season
- 11/16/17: Here’s how to get executives excited about SEO
- 11/14/17: Killer demand gen strategy, Part 2: Google Display Network targeting
- 11/14/17: How to use your data to supercharge paid search
- 11/13/17: A search marketer’s guide to using paid social media
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 11/17/17: Daily Search Forum Recap: November 17, 2017
- 11/17/17: Search Buzz Video Recap: Google Search Update, AMP Penalties, Disavow Links, Larry Page Hates Manual Actions & Firefox
- 11/17/17: GS1 Web Markup Has No Ranking Benefit In Google
- 11/17/17: Gary Illyes Of Google: Larry Page Does Not Believe In Manual Actions
- 11/17/17: Google To Penalize AMP Pages Showing Partial Teaser Content
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 11/17/17: Google to Introduce 8 Trust Indicators for Publishers to Add to News Stories by @MattGSouthern
- 11/17/17: 11 Ways to Prove the Value of SEO to Your Boss by @DholakiyaPratik
- 11/17/17: 7 Powerful Content Secrets That Move People to Take Action by @vpkoshy
- 11/17/17: 10 Big SEO Tips to Get More Sales on Black Friday by @krisjonescom
- 11/17/17: Google’s Jagger Update Rocks Manipulative Link Building by @TaylorDanRW
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 11/16/17: Engaging users through high quality AMP pages
- 11/15/17: Make your site's complete jobs information accessible to job seekers
- 10/02/17: Enabling more high quality content for users
- 09/14/17: How to move from m-dot URLs to responsive site
- 08/23/17: Introducing Our New International Webmaster Blogs!
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 09/15/17: Bing adds Fact Check label in SERP to support the ClaimReview markup
- 04/21/17: Bing refines its copyright removals process
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
- 06/03/16: Warning! Bing now offers enhanced malware warnings!
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
- 01/19/16: Solving a Verizon issue (Nexus 5X)
- 10/31/15: Halloween 2015: USB Drive
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 10/12/17: Digital Analytics + Marketing Career Advice: Your Now, Next, Long Plan
- 08/28/17: The Artificial Intelligence Opportunity: A Camel to Cars Moment
- 07/13/17: Create High-Impact Data Visualizations: Nine Effective Strategies
- 06/07/17: Stop All Social Media Activity (Organic) | Solve For A Profitable Reality
- 05/02/17: The Very Best Digital Metrics For 15 Different Companies!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 11/17/17: How Google AdWords (PPC) Does and Doesn't Affect Organic Results - Whiteboard Friday
- 11/16/17: How to Make Your Website More Secure (So Google Doesn't Punish You)
- 11/15/17: How to Build the Right Content Marketing Strategy for SEO Growth
- 11/14/17: Rewriting the Beginner's Guide to SEO
- 11/10/17: How Google Gives Us Insight into Searcher Intent Through the Results - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 11/14/17: 18 eCommerce Marketing Resources to Help You Have the Best Holiday Sales Ever
- 10/24/17: How to Avoid Getting Screwed by Your eCommerce Marketing Agency
- 10/17/17: eCommerce Website Technical SEO Requirements
- 10/10/17: Walmart Marketplace as a New eCommerce Growth Opportunity
- 10/03/17: 5 Takeaways & 2 Book Recommendations from Inbound 2017
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 11/15/17: 6 Easy Ways to Discover Your Search Competitors
- 11/08/17: Demystifying the Design Process with Sketch
- 11/02/17: What We Learned in October 2017: The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 10/26/17: All the Slides from SearchLove London 2017
- 10/25/17: Facebook News Feed Experiments: Threat or Opportunity?
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.