These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 09/20/17: Google kills test of second description in search ads
- 09/19/17: SearchCap: Google AdWords addiction ads, Bing on links & Google Home mini
- 09/19/17: Report: Google to debut ‘Home Mini’ smart speaker for $49 on October 4
- 09/19/17: SMX East early bird rates expire Saturday. Register now!
- 09/19/17: Bing says links are still a very important ranking factor
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 09/20/17: How to create a kickass link-building strategy for local SEO
- 09/19/17: 5 tips to create a data-driven content marketing strategy
- 09/18/17: What is SEM?
- 09/15/17: Should I move my WordPress website to HTTPS?
- 09/14/17: 10 tips to make your Magento online store more secure
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 09/20/17: Google: Chatbots Don't Make Your Pages Better
- 09/20/17: Google's Ranking Algorithms Dynamically Change Based On Query & Context
- 09/20/17: Google Search Ranking Update Chatter Continues
- 09/20/17: Google Tests Indoor Maps In The Local Knowledge Panel
- 09/20/17: Google: We Don't Use Click Data Directly For Search Rankings
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 09/20/17: How to Use Automation to Boost PPC Performance by @iambenwood
- 09/20/17: Why Machine Learning Is Key to the Search Marketing of Tomorrow by @cchaitanya
- 09/19/17: Bing Upgrades Visual Search With Object Detection Technology by @MattGSouthern
- 09/19/17: Google Search App to Suggest Related Content by @MattGSouthern
- 09/19/17: Internal Link Structure Best Practices to Boost Your SEO by @coreydmorris
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 09/14/17: How to move from m-dot URLs to responsive site
- 08/23/17: Introducing Our New International Webmaster Blogs!
- 08/01/17: The new Search Console: a sneak peek at two experimental features
- 08/01/17: Badges on Image Search help users find what they really want
- 06/20/17: Connect to job seekers with Google Search
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 09/15/17: Bing adds Fact Check label in SERP to support the ClaimReview markup
- 04/21/17: Bing refines its copyright removals process
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
- 06/03/16: Warning! Bing now offers enhanced malware warnings!
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
- 01/19/16: Solving a Verizon issue (Nexus 5X)
- 10/31/15: Halloween 2015: USB Drive
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 08/28/17: The Artificial Intelligence Opportunity: A Camel to Cars Moment
- 07/13/17: Create High-Impact Data Visualizations: Nine Effective Strategies
- 06/07/17: Stop All Social Media Activity (Organic) | Solve For A Profitable Reality
- 05/02/17: The Very Best Digital Metrics For 15 Different Companies!
- 03/30/17: Artificial Intelligence: Implications On Marketing, Analytics, And You
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 09/19/17: The Anatomy of a $97 Million Page: A CRO Case Study
- 09/15/17: Understanding and Harnessing the Flow of Link Equity to Maximize SEO Ranking Opportunity - Whiteboard Friday
- 09/13/17: Pros and Cons of HTTPS Services: Traditional vs Let's Encrypt vs Cloudflare
- 09/12/17: Announcing 5 NEW Feature Upgrades to Moz Pro's Site Crawl, Including Pixel-Length Title Data
- 09/11/17: The Beginner’s Guide to Structured Data for SEO: How to Implement It
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 09/18/17: Introducing The Cruft Finder, a Free SEO Tool by Inflow
- 09/12/17: Testing Destroys Progress but So Does Skipping it.
- 09/05/17: [VIDEO] Best in Class eCommerce Homepage Conversion Optimization Tips
- 08/29/17: How to Use Slack to Automate Social Content Curation
- 08/22/17: Creating Best in Class Cart Experiences
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 09/08/17: The Distilled Yearly Creative Roundup: 2017 Edition
- 09/05/17: What We Learned in August 2017: The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 09/01/17: 4 Steps to Performing a Social Media Content Audit
- 08/22/17: Taking the Lead: Life as a Distilled Creative Intern
- 08/21/17: Creative Inspiration: 10 of the Best Bits of Content We Enjoyed this Summer
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.