These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 04/19/18: Voice agents and interfaces will require many new marketing strategies
- 04/19/18: Sarcasm aside, how strict PPC advertiser policies may actually benefit us
- 04/19/18: Google Assistant sometimes uses AccuWeather when their weather service fails
- 04/18/18: SearchCap: Google new video ad format, SEO checklists & more
- 04/18/18: Compare 15 marketing automation platforms
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 04/19/18: How to integrate SEO into the translation process to maximize global success
- 04/18/18: Six Hreflang tag pitfalls to watch out for on e-commerce websites
- 04/17/18: SEO basics: The top 8 mistakes that rookies (and new businesses) make
- 04/16/18: Shady competitors’ tactics and how to beat them: negative marketing resources
- 04/13/18: 14 essential WordPress plugins to improve SEO
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 04/19/18: Google: How To Reverse A Site Move & Go Back To Original URLs
- 04/19/18: When Google Assistant First Party Responses Fail, It May Failover To Third-Party App
- 04/19/18: Google: Mobile-First Indexing Switch Is Based On Technical Setup, Not Search Query Volume
- 04/19/18: Google My Business Insights Mysteriously Disappears On Friday The 13th
- 04/19/18: Todd Mintz - The Search Community Honors You
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 04/19/18: Anchor Text Best Practices for Google by @martinibuster
- 04/19/18: Stop Asking for Links in My Old Content! by @tonynwright
- 04/19/18: ‘(Not Provided)’: SEO 5 Years Later by @wburton27
- 04/19/18: 10 Ways You Can Create Urgency to Increase Conversions & Sales by @AdamHeitzman
- 04/18/18: Snapchat Integrates Shopping Ads Into AR Lenses by @MattGSouthern
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 04/04/18: Distrust of the Symantec PKI: Immediate action needed by site operators
- 03/26/18: Rolling out mobile-first indexing
- 03/09/18: Introducing the Webmaster Video Series, now in Hindi
- 02/06/18: How listening to our users helped us build a better Search Console
- 02/05/18: Launching SEO Audit category in Lighthouse Chrome extension
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 02/09/18: Introducing Social Login for Bing Webmaster Tools
- 09/15/17: Bing adds Fact Check label in SERP to support the ClaimReview markup
- 04/21/17: Bing refines its copyright removals process
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 03/19/18: Closing Data's Last-Mile Gap: Visualizing For Impact!
- 02/06/18: Five Strategies for Slaying the Data Puking Dragon.
- 01/08/18: Unsexy Fundamentals Focus: User Experiences That Print Money
- 12/08/17: Smarter Career Choices #3: Solve for the Global Maxima!
- 10/12/17: Digital Analytics + Marketing Career Advice: Your Now, Next, Long Plan
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 04/17/18: Enterprise Local SEO is Different: A Checklist, a Mindset
- 04/16/18: How to Use Instagram Like a Beauty Brand
- 04/13/18: Sustainable Link Building: Increasing Your Chances of Getting Links - Whiteboard Friday
- 04/11/18: Want to Speak at MozCon 2018? Here's Your Chance – Pitch to Be a Community Speaker!
- 04/11/18: The Bot Plan: Your Guide to Making Conversations Convert
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 04/17/18: 15 eCommerce SEO Tactics to Implement in Mid-2018 (Research-backed)
- 04/16/18: Can You Laugh Your Way to Better Public Speaking Skills?
- 04/02/18: Trust Seals: We Ran 3 Tests on McAfee and Norton Trust Seals. Here’s What We Found
- 03/27/18: CRO: 8 Design Features Top eCommerce Sites Use on Gallery Pages to Increase Conversions
- 03/20/18: Case Study: How One eCommerce Brand Spends Its 7-Figure Adwords Budget
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 04/19/18: Common CRO Mistakes & How to Avoid Them
- 04/16/18: 5 reasons to attend SearchLove Boston 2018
- 04/11/18: What We Learned in March 2018: The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 04/05/18: SearchLove San Diego 2018 Round Up
- 03/20/18: Google Data Studio: The Beginner's Tutorial
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.