These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 10/10/18: SearchCap: Moz with STAT & marketing automation
- 10/10/18: Some large search budgets are moving to Amazon, say agency executives
- 10/10/18: The Open Marketing Cloud: Mautic’s flexible, budget-friendly marketing automation platform
- 10/10/18: Moz acquires STAT Search Analytics
- 10/09/18: SearchCap: Google Ads recording calls, Sitelinks snippets & Google Easter Eggs
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 10/10/18: A cheat sheet to Google algorithm updates from 2011 to 2018
- 10/09/18: On-site SEO for international brands, do’s and don’ts
- 10/08/18: Dragonfly: What we know about Google’s possible plans to re-enter China’s search market
- 10/05/18: How to drive clicks through effective meta descriptions
- 10/04/18: 4 specific strategies for finding LSI keywords that’ll boost your SEO
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 10/10/18: Daily Search Forum Recap: October 10, 2018
- 10/10/18: Google: Mobile-First Indexing Unrelated To Search Ranking Algorithm Changes
- 10/10/18: Google: Crawl Rate Increases Can Be Related To Mobile-First Indexing Switch
- 10/10/18: Google Lens Now Built Into Pixel 3 Camera
- 10/10/18: Google Home Hub - Google Assistant With A Display
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 10/11/18: Google Assistant to Test Automated Phone Reservations Feature Next Month by @MattGSouthern
- 10/11/18: Facebook Introduces New Tool for Measuring Effectiveness of Facebook Ads by @MattGSouthern
- 10/10/18: Instagram Rolls Out New “Kindness” Photo Filter to Spread Positivity by @MattGSouthern
- 10/10/18: 10 Time-Saving Automations for More Efficient Marketing by @sam_marsden
- 10/10/18: How Mastering the Art of PPC Yield Management Can Boost ROI by @cchaitanya
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 09/04/18: The new Search Console is graduating out of Beta 🎓
- 08/29/18: Collaboration and user management in the new Search Console
- 08/21/18: Links, Mobile Usability, and site management in the new Search Console
- 07/24/18: Hey Google, what's the latest news?
- 07/17/18: An update to referral source URLs for Google Images
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 09/19/18: Introducing Bing AMP viewer and Bing AMP cache
- 09/18/18: Anonymous URL Submission Tool Being Retired
- 07/31/18: Introducing JSON-LD Support in Bing Webmaster Tools
- 07/30/18: Intermittent Webmaster Tools API Issues Resolved
- 02/09/18: Introducing Social Login for Bing Webmaster Tools
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 07/24/18: The Impact Matrix | A Digital Analytics Strategic Framework
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
- 03/19/18: Closing Data's Last-Mile Gap: Visualizing For Impact!
- 02/06/18: Five Strategies for Slaying the Data Puking Dragon.
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 10/11/18: Why We're Doubling Down on the Future of SEO - Moz + STAT
- 10/10/18: Moz Acquires STAT Search Analytics: We're Better Together!
- 10/09/18: The SEO Cyborg: How to Resonate with Users & Make Sense to Search Bots
- 10/08/18: Rewriting the Beginner's Guide to SEO, Chapter 5: Technical Optimization
- 10/05/18: Faceted Navigation Intro - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 07/12/18: 11 eCommerce Marketing Automation Systems Compared
- 07/10/18: How We Lowered Cost Per Acquisition from $47 to $9 in a Google Shopping Campaign (Using Audience Lists and Retargeting)
- 06/26/18: Why Your eCommerce Conversion Rate Is Probably Better Than You Think
- 06/12/18: How to Run Top-Performing eCommerce Ads in AdWords (for Less Spend)
- 06/05/18: How We Created an eCommerce Buying Guide That Led to Six-Figure Sales
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 10/08/18: How to be positive at work and make your life easier
- 10/01/18: Technical SEO Audit Checklist for Human Beings: October 2018 Update
- 09/25/18: Marginal losses: the hidden reason your SEO performance is lagging
- 09/14/18: Optimizing Pinterest for the Buyer’s Journey
- 09/11/18: 2018 Distilled Creative: What we've learned and changing trends
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.