These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 08/15/18: SearchCap: Google Search Console adds features, Amazon advertising, Bing Webmaster Tools & more
- 08/15/18: The ultimate guide to using Bing Webmaster Tools – Part 3
- 08/15/18: Don’t miss proven & actionable tactics from Google and Bing
- 08/15/18: Analysts say Amazon’s advertising business will surpass AWS by 2021
- 08/15/18: Bing app’s Camera Intelligent Search can solve complex math problems in a snap
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 08/15/18: Research finds B2B audiences discover content through search
- 08/14/18: The difference between on-site blog content and off-site content
- 08/13/18: How to optimize your Google My Business listing
- 08/10/18: Search trends 2018: what can marketers learn?
- 08/09/18: Three ways to maximize the SEO impact of user-generated content
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 08/15/18: Daily Search Forum Recap: August 15, 2018
- 08/15/18: Google: Useful Content Position On A Page Doesn't Matter
- 08/15/18: Google Doesn't Always Show "More Results" Button, May Show "Next" Button
- 08/15/18: Beta Google Search Console Adds Verify Sites, Manage Users & Mobile Usability Report
- 08/15/18: Google: Manual Actions Are Not Based On A Single Bad Link
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 08/15/18: Google Research: User Satisfaction and Trust by @martinibuster
- 08/15/18: 11 Things You Must Know About Google’s 200 Ranking Factors by @beanstalkim
- 08/15/18: 13 Things Every CEO Needs to Understand About SEO by @coreydmorris
- 08/15/18: 5 Surprising Ways Great Content & PPC Can Help Each Other by @krisjonescom
- 08/14/18: Google Ads Report Editor Now Supports Time Period Comparison by @MattGSouthern
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 07/24/18: Hey Google, what's the latest news?
- 07/17/18: An update to referral source URLs for Google Images
- 06/28/18: How we fought webspam - Webspam Report 2017
- 06/26/18: Introducing the Indexing API for job posting URLs
- 06/25/18: New URL inspection tool & more in Search Console
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 07/31/18: Introducing JSON-LD Support in Bing Webmaster Tools
- 07/30/18: Intermittent Webmaster Tools API Issues Resolved
- 02/09/18: Introducing Social Login for Bing Webmaster Tools
- 09/15/17: Bing adds Fact Check label in SERP to support the ClaimReview markup
- 04/21/17: Bing refines its copyright removals process
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 03/08/18: Some terrible personal news
- 01/22/18: Talking to Mr. Money Mustache about the US Digital Service
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 07/24/18: The Impact Matrix | A Digital Analytics Strategic Framework
- 06/04/18: Six Nudges: Creating A Sense Of Urgency For Higher Conversion Rates!
- 04/30/18: Breaking Silos: Passive Consumption + Active Engagement FTW!
- 03/19/18: Closing Data's Last-Mile Gap: Visualizing For Impact!
- 02/06/18: Five Strategies for Slaying the Data Puking Dragon.
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 08/14/18: Ranking the 6 Most Accurate Keyword Difficulty Tools
- 08/13/18: How to Win Some Local Customers Back from Amazon this Holiday Season
- 08/10/18: What Do Dolphins Eat? Lessons from How Kids Search
- 08/09/18: Google's August 1st Core Update: Week 1
- 08/08/18: Rewriting the Beginner's Guide to SEO, Chapter 4: On-Page Optimization
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 07/12/18: 11 eCommerce Marketing Automation Systems Compared
- 07/10/18: How We Lowered Cost Per Acquisition from $47 to $9 in a Google Shopping Campaign (Using Audience Lists and Retargeting)
- 06/26/18: Why Your eCommerce Conversion Rate Is Probably Better Than You Think
- 06/12/18: How to Run Top-Performing eCommerce Ads in AdWords (for Less Spend)
- 06/05/18: How We Created an eCommerce Buying Guide That Led to Six-Figure Sales
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 08/13/18: Building visual reporting in Google Sheets
- 08/08/18: What We Learned in July 2018: The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 08/06/18: What is SEO split testing?
- 08/06/18: SearchLove London 2018 Community Speakers Announced
- 07/30/18: How we did an emergency HTTPS migration using the ODN to avoid Chrome security warnings [case study]
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.