Here’s a list of my favorite search engine optimization (SEO) resources. Some are online SEO tools. Some are SEO companies. Some are just for pure SEO fun. Also be sure to check out our curated list of helpful SEO articles.
These SEO tools play an integral part to many SEO professionals daily activities.
- SEOBook – One of my most highly used online SEO tools, and their SEO Toolbar for Firefox is a “must have.” Includes tools for conducting keyword research, assessing webpage/website authority, finding top inbound links to competing pages, and more
- Moz – Another highly recommended set of SEO tools that are industry-leading and incredibly resourceful. They also offer the Open Site Explorer tool which offers incredibly valuable link metrics.
- SEOQuake – A plugin extension for both Firefox and Chrome which allows for “on the fly” analysis of SEO criteria for every search result (SERP).
- SEO Site Checkup – Instantly find recommendations to further optimize your website. This can be a great starting point for on-page SEO and technical SEO fixes.
The following SEO blogs are widely read across the industry, and a great place to start and continue learning about search engine optimization.
- Search Engine News – A highly acclaimed search engine news resource since 1997, with the wildly popular “Unfair Advantage to Winning the Search Engine Wars” eBook (highly recommended!).
- Search Engine Land – An industry-leading online SEO publication for the latest search news, research and anaylsis, commentary and expert advice.
- Search Engine Watch – Another popular SEO news resource providing tips and information about searching the web, the search engine industry, and articles on how to improve search rankings.
Denver SEO Companies
Since I’m in Denver, I’d like to recommend some trusted local Denver SEO agencies that you should consider contacting if you’re looking to improve your local Denver area business’s online search engine presence.
- Inflow – The only Denver SEO & Inbound Marketing company on the elite Moz Recommended Agencies list. This is where I work.
- Green Chair Marketing Group – Dave is a friend of mine, and fellow Miami University alumnus, and feel that he’s a very trustworthy local Denver consultant to recommend.
- Volume9 – I’ve known Chuck Aikens for a few years now. He knows his stuff and has an impressive clientele list, one of which being Thought Equity Motion, who is a fascinating local Denver company providing the largest online screen footage library in the world!
- Fruition – Another recommended local Denver SEO company with an impressive list of clients, including the University of Denver and Colorado University.
- Hyper Dog Media – A well-known Denver SEO agency who also leads the local Denver SEO Meetup group and is very active in Denver’s SEO community.
- Directory of SEO Links – A unique and human-edited directory of SEO companies, professionals, and services.
- SEO Directory – Another human-edited directory of SEO and other companies.
- Dmegs link directory – Another web directory requiring reciprocal link for submission.
- AllForBlog.com Free Blog Directory – Another web directory requiring reciprocal link for submission.
Miscellaneous SEO Resources
- Top 31 SEO Experiments – Excellent resource to realize what truly works in SEO. Everything from plain text URLs, to social media influence on SERPs, to high-volume blogging to the value of the Google +1 button is covered here.
- SEO Myths eBook – Some basic SEO myths are debunked along with some good reminders, like content creation is more important than link building, great content is more important than obsessing about SEO, more indexed pages isn’t always better (if they are not true, unique content) and that natural keyword usage is more important than fretting over forcing exact-match keywords into content in awkward ways.
- The Ultimate List of SEO Bookmarklets – Everything from wizard-like Google queries, to backlink profile analysis tools, to domain stats and social tools is covered here. Good page to…bookmark!
- 21 Ways You’re Screwing Up Your Landing Pages – While not technically about SEO, this page is a great resource for improving conversion of your site’s key landing pages. Let’s face it, we do SEO for a reason: converting visitors into customers.
- Periodic Table of SEO Success Factors – Covering everything from content, to HTML, site architecture, links, trust metrics and more…this is one of the most popular infographics for SEO. Put in on your wall!
- SEO Audit Checklist – This infographic does a wonderful job helping you visualize how you need to conduct an on-site analysis, competitive analysis and keyword research. Worth printing and tacking to your cubical wall.
- WhereToLive.com – An SEO friendly real estate website platform designed to help real estate agents win on the web.