These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 03/23/17: SearchCap: Google Fred confirmation, mobile-first index status & future of search
- 03/23/17: Google: Our search leads won’t let us talk about the Fred update
- 03/23/17: How much is a happy customer worth?
- 03/23/17: How AI will shape the future of search
- 03/23/17: Google’s mobile-first index is (still) months away
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 03/23/17: Is Google’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ ad the future of paid voice search?
- 03/23/17: Biometrics and neuroscience: The future of digital analytics?
- 03/22/17: Can Google get users on board with “shortcuts in search”?
- 03/22/17: How to create SEO-friendly content
- 03/21/17: The SEO benefits of using WordPress to publish your content
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 03/23/17: Daily Search Forum Recap: March 23, 2017
- 03/23/17: Google Dance 2017 A Huge Success
- 03/23/17: Google Responds To Allegations Of Former Googler Spamming
- 03/23/17: Google Mobile First Index Will Launch When Results Are "Quality Neutral"
- 03/23/17: Google Local Reviews With Guardian Top Ten Icon
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 03/23/17: Best Practices for 2017 SEO Audits [PODCAST] by @rinadianewrites
- 03/23/17: Is Technology Crippling Our Communication Skills? by @wonderwall7
- 03/23/17: Surprisingly, Brand Advertising Drives More Conversions Than You Think! by @LarryKim
- 03/22/17: A Beginner’s Guide to Getting Featured on Product Hunt by @ab80
- 03/22/17: New Silver Sponsor for SEJ Summit Chicago 2017: The Hoth by @jrdoog
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 03/20/17: #NoHacked: A year in review
- 02/28/17: Closing down for a day
- 01/31/17: Introducing the Mobile-Friendly Test API
- 01/27/17: Protect your site from user generated spam
- 01/16/17: What Crawl Budget Means for Googlebot
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
- 06/03/16: Warning! Bing now offers enhanced malware warnings!
- 05/18/16: Sitemaps – 4 Basics to Get You Started
- 11/13/15: Announcing the Bing Mobile Friendliness Test Tool
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
- 01/19/16: Solving a Verizon issue (Nexus 5X)
- 10/31/15: Halloween 2015: USB Drive
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 02/28/17: Cookies To Humans: Implications Of Identity Systems On Incentives!
- 02/01/17: It's Not The Ink, It's The Think: 6 Effective Data Visualization Strategies
- 12/12/16: Five Key Elements For A Big Analytics Driven Business Impact
- 10/24/16: Digital Attribution's Ladder of Awesomeness: Nine Critical Steps
- 09/13/16: Smarter Survey Results and Impact: Abandon the Asker-Puker Model!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 03/23/17: Your Daily SEO Fix: Keywords, Concepts, Page Optimization, and Happy NAPs
- 03/22/17: How to Do a Content Audit [Updated for 2017]
- 03/21/17: The Step-By-Step Guide to Testing Voice Search Via PPC
- 03/20/17: Helpful Tips for Doing Search in a Low-Volume Niche
- 03/17/17: Ranking Multiple Domains to Own More SERP Real Estate - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 03/21/17: Building eCommerce KPI Dashboards in Google Sheets
- 03/07/17: Keyword Research for Featured Snippets: A Primer
- 02/28/17: 7 eCommerce Legacy Features You May Want to Kick to the Curb
- 02/21/17: Emerging Trends from Best in Class Research: Part 2
- 02/14/17: Weak Snippets: What Are They and How to Steal Them
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 03/23/17: 5 Forms of Google Advertising Coming Soon
- 03/15/17: 4 Simple Ways to Upgrade Creative Content Into Media-Friendly Stories
- 03/07/17: What We Learned in February 2017: The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 03/01/17: How to Embrace Being Agile as a Small Business
- 02/20/17: Do it Yourself SEO Split Testing Tool With Causal Impact
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.