These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 12/09/16: SearchCap: Santa tracker, Yahoo Answers app & digital assistants
- 12/09/16: Yahoo introduces ‘Answers Now’ app, but will users respond?
- 12/09/16: NORAD’s Santa Tracker counts down the days until Christmas 2016 with Bing’s help
- 12/09/16: Digital assistants, conversational search and the future of local
- 12/09/16: Search in Pics: Google sandbox, indoor rowboat & umbrellas
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 01/15/16: Five of the most interesting SEM news stories of the week
- 01/14/16: Does native advertising really work?
- 01/14/16: Competition time: win tickets to Connect, our two day search event
- 01/13/16: What do you need to know about 'responsive content marketing'?
- 01/13/16: Why companies create content - Part one: to create and change perception
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 12/09/16: Daily Search Forum Recap: December 9, 2016
- 12/09/16: Search Buzz Video Recap: Google Trust, New Design, News, Charity Links & Holidays
- 12/09/16: Google Presentation On Internationalization & Search
- 12/09/16: Google AdWords Location Extensions Bringing Back Stars In Ads
- 12/09/16: Google Home & Assistant Now Allow Developers To Build Voice Commands
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 12/09/16: Google AdWords Now Allows Advertisers to Apply Audience Lists at Campaign Level by @MattGSouthern
- 12/09/16: 8 Battle-Tested Ways to Increase Email Open Rates by @reshurathi
- 12/09/16: 3 Powerful Ways to Expand Your Keyword List by @@DigitalAnya
- 12/09/16: Crafting the Perfect Content Strategy with Brody Dorland [PODCAST]
- 12/08/16: 24 Experts on the Big 2017 PPC Trends You Need to Know by @DannyNMIGoodwin
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 11/30/16: An update on Google's feature-phone crawling & indexing
- 11/29/16: Saying goodbye to Content Keywords
- 11/21/16: Rich Cards expands to more verticals
- 11/09/16: Building Indexable Progressive Web Apps
- 11/04/16: Mobile-first Indexing
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
- 06/03/16: Warning! Bing now offers enhanced malware warnings!
- 05/18/16: Sitemaps – 4 Basics to Get You Started
- 11/13/15: Announcing the Bing Mobile Friendliness Test Tool
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
- 01/19/16: Solving a Verizon issue (Nexus 5X)
- 10/31/15: Halloween 2015: USB Drive
- 09/24/15: Give Google Contributor a try
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 10/24/16: Digital Attribution's Ladder of Awesomeness: Nine Critical Steps
- 09/13/16: Smarter Survey Results and Impact: Abandon the Asker-Puker Model!
- 08/09/16: Be Real-World Smart: A Beginner's Advanced Google Analytics Guide
- 07/06/16: Suck Less | A Plea For User-Centric Design: Powered By You!
- 05/31/16: Four Stories: A Decade of Writing Occam's Razor!
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 12/02/16: Which Page Markup + Tags Still Matter for SEO? - Whiteboard Friday
- 11/30/16: 5 Takeaways from Earning Links in 130 Countries
- 11/29/16: The 7 Citation Building Myths Plaguing Local SEO
- 11/28/16: 5 Lead Generation Ideas to Help You Increase Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- 11/25/16: Backlinks from Client Sites, Sites You Own, Widgets, & Embedded Content: How to Maximize Benefits & Avoid Problems - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 12/06/16: Content Marketing Trends for 2017
- 11/29/16: Guide to Using Facebook Business Manager
- 11/16/16: SEO Primer for App Optimization
- 11/14/16: Improving eCommerce Site Speed
- 11/01/16: Crawler Faceoff: SEO Crawl Tools for Large eCommerce Sites
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 12/07/16: Google AMP and the Publishing Industry: What Happens Next?
- 12/02/16: What We Learned in November - The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 11/29/16: Jono Alderson Joins the Distilled Family
- 11/23/16: Mobile PPC in 2017: A Look Ahead
- 11/15/16: Where Will the Next Trillion Searches Come From?
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.
- 11/25/16: Disappearing Clicks
- 11/07/16: Google & Facebook Squeezing Out Partners
- 09/25/16: Penguin 4.0 Update
- 09/15/16: Free Google AdWords Keyword Suggestion Tool Alternative
- 08/10/16: How I Learned to Start Loving Social Media's Darkside