These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 02/15/17: SearchCap: Google fun facts, how to hire SEOs & SEO analysis
- 02/15/17: You’ll love the SMX West speaker lineup
- 02/15/17: Google’s latest search feature serves up fun facts about animals, plants, fruits & vegetables
- 02/15/17: Keyword SWOT analysis: Finding your content opportunities
- 02/15/17: Google releases new video on how to hire an SEO consultant
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 02/15/17: The psychology of search intent: Converting moments that matter
- 02/15/17: What we can learn from the latest trends in voice search
- 02/14/17: How to target high-income consumers with AdWords
- 02/14/17: How can you successfully set up an efficient business blog on a very tight budget?
- 02/13/17: How do the recent updates to Google Data Studio benefit marketers?
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 02/16/17: Google Schema Support Coming For Jobs, Carousels & More
- 02/16/17: Google: We Review Spam Reports Within Hours Or Days
- 02/16/17: Google: Give SEOs 4-12 Months To See Positive Ranking Benefits
- 02/16/17: Google AdWords Displaying More Product Shopping Ads?
- 02/16/17: Bing Valentine's Day Heart Balloon Gift
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 02/16/17: Creative Commons Launches New Search Engine for Finding Free, Legal Images by @MattGSouthern
- 02/16/17: Google to Implement Anti-Piracy Code in Search Results by June 1st by @MattGSouthern
- 02/15/17: Google Asked to Remove Over a Million Websites for Copyright Infringement by @MattGSouthern
- 02/15/17: OK Google, Give Me Some Fun Facts About Animals and Nature by @MattGSouthern
- 02/15/17: 75% of Multilingual Websites Have Hreflang Implementation Mistakes by @@DigitalAnya
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 01/31/17: Introducing the Mobile-Friendly Test API
- 01/27/17: Protect your site from user generated spam
- 01/16/17: What Crawl Budget Means for Googlebot
- 12/12/16: Enhancing property sets to cover more reports in Search Console
- 11/30/16: An update on Google's feature-phone crawling & indexing
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
- 06/03/16: Warning! Bing now offers enhanced malware warnings!
- 05/18/16: Sitemaps – 4 Basics to Get You Started
- 11/13/15: Announcing the Bing Mobile Friendliness Test Tool
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
- 01/19/16: Solving a Verizon issue (Nexus 5X)
- 10/31/15: Halloween 2015: USB Drive
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 02/01/17: It's Not The Ink, It's The Think: 6 Effective Data Visualization Strategies
- 12/12/16: Five Key Elements For A Big Analytics Driven Business Impact
- 10/24/16: Digital Attribution's Ladder of Awesomeness: Nine Critical Steps
- 09/13/16: Smarter Survey Results and Impact: Abandon the Asker-Puker Model!
- 08/09/16: Be Real-World Smart: A Beginner's Advanced Google Analytics Guide
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 02/16/17: How We Increased Our Email Response Rate from ~8% to 34%
- 02/15/17: Accelerate Your SEO Knowledge: New SEO Bootcamps and In-House Training from Moz
- 02/14/17: The 2017 Local SEO Forecast: 10 Predictions According to Mozzers
- 02/13/17: How to Uncover Hidden Keyword-Level Data Using Google Sheets
- 02/10/17: The Keyword + Year Content/Rankings Hack - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 02/14/17: Weak Snippets: What Are They and How to Steal Them
- 02/07/17: Emerging Trends from our Best-in-Class Research
- 02/06/17: Clutch Names Inflow One of The Leading Denver SEO Firms of 2017
- 01/31/17: Category Page Rewrites: Why and How
- 01/23/17: More Important Than Best Practices – Conventions
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 02/09/17: Google Expanding Carousel Layout for “Best” Keywords
- 02/07/17: What We Learned in January 2017 - The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 02/02/17: One Year in: DistilledODN by the Numbers
- 01/25/17: 5 Analyses You can do Without an SEO Platform
- 01/10/17: DistilledLive is Back in London on Thursday 2nd February
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.
- 11/25/16: Disappearing Clicks
- 11/07/16: Google & Facebook Squeezing Out Partners
- 09/25/16: Penguin 4.0 Update
- 09/15/16: Free Google AdWords Keyword Suggestion Tool Alternative
- 08/10/16: How I Learned to Start Loving Social Media's Darkside