These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 04/24/17: Separate marketing technology fact from fiction at MarTech Conference in 2 weeks
- 04/24/17: SearchCap: Bing Shopping feeds, Google HTTPS & local SEO
- 04/24/17: 4 ways brands are losing store traffic — and how to use location marketing strategies to reverse course
- 04/24/17: Bing Shopping Campaigns get inventory feeds, search query reports at product level
- 04/24/17: Be a mad scientist to be more successful in local SEO
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 04/24/17: Top Tips on Voice Search: Artificial Intelligence, Location and SEO
- 04/21/17: Four most interesting search marketing news stories of the week
- 04/20/17: How to use Google’s new demographic targeting for search ads
- 04/20/17: What’s new with Earth? First impressions of the relaunched Google Earth
- 04/19/17: A guide to setting up Google Analytics for your WordPress site
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 04/24/17: Daily Search Forum Recap: April 24, 2017
- 04/24/17: Google: No Plans To Boost HTTPS Ranking Factor
- 04/24/17: Google Tests Dropping AMP Logo From Search Results
- 04/24/17: Google Personalized Search: Ages, No & Previous Searches, Yes
- 04/24/17: PSA: Don't Ask Google If A Specific Spam Technique Is Allowed
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 04/24/17: Bing Shopping Campaigns Adds Search Term Reports at Product Level by @MattGSouthern
- 04/24/17: Google to Automatically Display Local Reviews in Your Native Language by @MattGSouthern
- 04/24/17: Half of Google’s First Page Results are HTTPS, According to Moz by @MattGSouthern
- 04/24/17: New: LinkedIn Launches Matched Audiences by @MrDannyGoodwin
- 04/24/17: Bing: Changes to Copyright Removal Process by @MattGSouthern
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 04/18/17: How we fought webspam - Webspam Report 2016
- 04/10/17: Similar items: Rich products feature on Google Image Search
- 03/30/17: Updates to the Google Safe Browsing’s Site Status Tool
- 03/20/17: #NoHacked: A year in review
- 02/28/17: Closing down for a day
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 04/21/17: Bing refines its copyright removals process
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
- 06/03/16: Warning! Bing now offers enhanced malware warnings!
- 05/18/16: Sitemaps – 4 Basics to Get You Started
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
- 01/19/16: Solving a Verizon issue (Nexus 5X)
- 10/31/15: Halloween 2015: USB Drive
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 03/30/17: Artificial Intelligence: Implications On Marketing, Analytics, And You
- 02/28/17: Cookies To Humans: Implications Of Identity Systems On Incentives!
- 02/01/17: It's Not The Ink, It's The Think: 6 Effective Data Visualization Strategies
- 12/12/16: Five Key Elements For A Big Analytics Driven Business Impact
- 10/24/16: Digital Attribution's Ladder of Awesomeness: Nine Critical Steps
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 03/29/17: Feast Your Eyes on the MozCon 2017 Initial Agenda
- 03/29/17: How to Make Sure Your Digital Marketing Strategy is Results-Driven
- 03/28/17: Local SEO Spam Tactics Are Working: How You Can Fight Back
- 03/27/17: Structuring URLs for Easy Data Gathering and Maximum Efficiency
- 03/24/17: The 6 Values (and 4 Benefits) of Agile Marketing - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 04/18/17: Attendee Hacks for IRCE: Internet Retailer Conference Success Tips
- 04/12/17: SEO Crawler Demo: Sitebulb Beta
- 04/05/17: eCommerce Options for WordPress
- 03/28/17: Emerging Trends in eCommerce Part 3 of 3
- 03/21/17: Building eCommerce KPI Dashboards in Google Sheets
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 04/20/17: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Site Migration
- 04/13/17: Getting Started with Measuring Brand Awareness
- 04/06/17: What We Learned in March 2017: The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 03/30/17: Non-Profits Under Fire - Battling Problems With Charity Digital Marketing in 2017
- 03/23/17: 5 Forms of Google Advertising Coming Soon
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.