These are the top SEO News resources to follow in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the ever-changing SEO industry. Learn a little about each website’s focus, who is behind the curtain and track their latest search engine news articles. Also included in this list are official news from Google and Bing, and influential figures such as Matt Cutts and Avinash Kaushik. Bookmark this page to get your search engine optimization news in an instant.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land, founded by Danny Sullivan, is the leading news site covering everything surrounding the search engine industry, from SEO to SEM, Google, Bing and even social media. This is one of the first places that SEO professionals look when there is a potential algorithm update from Google, as they are always quick to cover these stories.
- 05/24/17: MarTech is coming! MarTech is coming! To Boston Oct. 2-4
- 05/24/17: Spotted: AdWords reporting dashboards that can be scheduled & shared
- 05/24/17: Crafting a successful holistic search approach
- 05/24/17: New study on featured snippets within Google reveals growth & optimization techniques
- 05/24/17: The consumer decision journey in the increasingly complex search retail marketplace
Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch, owned by Incisive Interactive Marketing, is one of the other major search engine news websites that helps online marketers and website owners with improving their website’s visibility in search engines. They cover everything (SEO, PPC, Analytics, Social, Local, Mobile, Video, Content, Development, etc.).
- 05/24/17: What does Google’s “Project Owl” mean for search and fake news?
- 05/23/17: Targeting generational buzzwords like “Millennials” means targeting no-one
- 05/23/17: Google I/O: What’s going on with Progressive Web Apps?
- 05/22/17: A visual guide to Pinterest advertising
- 05/19/17: How video impacts mobile web performance and UX, part 2: autoplay and audio
Search Engine Roundtable
Search Engine Roundtable, led by Barry Schwartz of RustyBrick (Barry’s web development company), reports the most interesting forum threads happening in search engine marketing message boards across the web. Webmasters are often the first people to notice a change in Google’s algorithms, and Search Engine Roundtable brings the SEO chatter to the forefront.
- 05/24/17: Google Analytics Tests New Home Dashboard View?
- 05/24/17: Google: There Is Not Limit To How Many Times A URL Can Show On First Page
- 05/24/17: Google Attribution Merging AdWords, Google Analytics & DoubleClick Search
- 05/24/17: Google Might Publish On SEO Myths; Asks For Topics
- 05/24/17: Google AdWords Beta For Search Ads With AMP Landing Pages
Search Engine Journal
Founded by Loren Baker in 2003 and owned by Alpha Brand Media, Search Engine Journal has been offering a community-focused approach to the search marketing industry through leveraging industry experts to spotlight industry trends, news and thought leaders who are shaping the future of search marketing.
- 05/24/17: The Perfect Fit: How to Find the Right PPC Agency [WEBINAR] by @rinadianewrites
- 05/24/17: How to Boost the Organic Visibility of Category & Tag Pages? #AskanSEO by @jennyhalasz
- 05/23/17: Google AdWords Begins Using Machine Learning to Understand Purchase Intent by @MattGSouthern
- 05/23/17: Google is Speeding Up Search Ads With AMP Technology by @MattGSouthern
- 05/23/17: Is Your PPC Agency Wasting Your Budget? [NEW E-BOOK] by @itsduhnise
Google Webmaster Central
The Google Webmaster Central blog is often the source of much SEO news regarding Google. Google figureheads like John Mueller, Matt Cutts and even Amit Singhal make announcements about new Google algorithm updates, features in Webmaster Tools, mobile search advancements and other Google-specific news in this blog. It’s a must-follow for any SEO professional.
- 04/18/17: How we fought webspam - Webspam Report 2016
- 04/10/17: Similar items: Rich products feature on Google Image Search
- 03/30/17: Updates to the Google Safe Browsing’s Site Status Tool
- 03/20/17: #NoHacked: A year in review
- 02/28/17: Closing down for a day
Bing Webmaster Blog
The Bing Webmaster Blog offers great insight into how to run a successful website, often from a user’s perspective. We think that is what makes this blog great. The Bing Webmaster Blog provides an alternate voice in the arena of search engine webmaster blogs.
- 04/21/17: Bing refines its copyright removals process
- 11/30/16: Increasing the size limit of Sitemaps file to address evolving webmaster needs
- 09/29/16: Bing Enhances the Copyright Infringement Claims Process with New, Easy-to-Use Dashboard
- 06/03/16: Warning! Bing now offers enhanced malware warnings!
- 05/18/16: Sitemaps – 4 Basics to Get You Started
Matt Cutts joined the Google team at the start of the millennium as a software engineer and is now the head of Google’s Webspam team. SEO professionals follow his words closely, since his team has a major impact on Google’s rankings and overall quality guidelines.
If you think he looks nice, it’s because he is. He’s even able to wear that same smile when discussing algorithms that might penalize, or might have already penalized your site.
- 01/19/17: Staying with the US Digital Service
- 06/18/16: A brief update
- 02/03/16: Thanks, Amit
- 01/19/16: Solving a Verizon issue (Nexus 5X)
- 10/31/15: Halloween 2015: USB Drive
Avinash Kaushik (Occam’s Razor)
The extravagant and even flamboyant Avinash Kaushik (circa Mozcon 2013) is a digital marketing evangelist for Google, and know for his prowess over Google Analytics. Specializing in understand and improving user experience, he is one of the thought leaders that every webmaster and online marketer should follow. His blog, Occam’s Razor, offers an incredible wealth of technical knowledge that will take your analytics skills from intermediate to advanced in no time.
- 05/02/17: The Very Best Digital Metrics For 15 Different Companies!
- 03/30/17: Artificial Intelligence: Implications On Marketing, Analytics, And You
- 02/28/17: Cookies To Humans: Implications Of Identity Systems On Incentives!
- 02/01/17: It's Not The Ink, It's The Think: 6 Effective Data Visualization Strategies
- 12/12/16: Five Key Elements For A Big Analytics Driven Business Impact
Led by Rand Fishkin and his community of Mozzers including Dr. Pete, Jen Lopez, Cyrus Shepard and Moz Associatesl like our friend Everett Sizemore, the Moz Blog is full of cutting-edge inbound marketing strategies. Learn what works and what’s hot in content marketing, link earning, authorship, client management and overall…the right way to build community online and earn search engine traffic. If you’re not following the Moz Blog, you’re asleep.
- 05/10/17: Let’s Give It Up for the Community Speakers of MozCon 2017!
- 05/10/17: 8 Can't-Miss Off-Page SEO Strategies to Build Your Online Reputation
- 05/09/17: How to Implement SEO Changes Using Google Tag Manager
- 05/08/17: Not Your Dad's Keyword Tool: Advanced Keyword Research Use Cases
- 05/05/17: 7 ‹Title Tag› Hacks for Increased Rankings + Traffic - Whiteboard Friday
Denver’s fastest growing SEO company, and certainly the one with the most talent (they hired me!), has been putting out some of the highest quality technical SEO content in recent moths. With extensive guides covering duplicate content and eCommerce review platforms, to helpful articles covering recent trends in SEO, the Inflow blog is must-follow for any SEO or online marketer who is making the transition from intermediate to advanced SEO.
- 05/23/17: eCommerce Category Page Optimization: SEO & Conversion
- 05/16/17: Read This Before Choosing a Vendor to Replace Google Site Search
- 05/11/17: Should Your Internal Site Search URLs Be Indexed?
- 05/10/17: Best-in-Class eCommerce Homepages: Conversion Optimization
- 05/02/17: Sitewide eCommerce Conversion Rate Optimization Factors
Distlled got its start when Duncan Morris and Will Critchlow joined forces back in 2005 to start a web development company. Will’s brother, Tom Critchlow, joined the team in 2007 and the company began focusing on organic and paid search marketing. Their focus has further shifted to content marketing, which is most of what you will see in their blog.
- 05/18/17: Hey E-commerce Managers, Amazon Loses Their 1-Click Patent This Year
- 05/09/17: The New York Times Makes Poor Argument for Breaking up Google
- 05/05/17: What We Learned in April 2017: The Digital Marketing Month in a Minute
- 04/26/17: Boost Your Brand: How to Create Content for Awareness
- 04/20/17: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Site Migration
Founded by Aaron Wall, SEO Book was one of many early SEO’s primary resources for doing SEO. Their SEO Toolbar for Firefox had all the essentials for starting keyword research, analyzing link opportunities and more. More players have come onto the scene in recent years, yet SEO Book is still publishing great content in their blog.