Most credible businesses have at least one PR person on staff, however most PR staff members have no idea how to optimize a press release for search engines. As a result, these businesses are missing out on an incredible link building strategy.
What to do? Treat your press release like any other web page. Do your keyword research, optimize the elements of the press release, and embed keyword-rich links. It’s that easy. Let’s get a little dirtier with some specific tips.
Quick & Easy Press Release SEO Tips
- Do keyword research to ensure that your press release has a chance to rank highly in Google if bloggers and news websites re-purpose it on their website. Look for 1-2 primary keywords, and a handful of secondary keywords that are directly related to the content of your press release.
- Optimize your press release by plugging your keywords into your title, subtitles, and paragraph content. Use each keyword 1-3 times within your press release.
- Embed keyword rich links within the body content of your press release, linking to important web pages on your site that you’re trying to get ranking better in search engines. This is the most important press release SEO tip of them all. However, don’t overdo it. Keep it to 1-3 links, otherwise your press release will look spammy…and you’ll look like a jerk!
- Include a bio at the end of the press release and optimize it by including a keyword-rich link to your home page.
- Keep your press release @ 500 words in order to ensure it has enough “meat” to rank well in Google (post-Panda update).
- Submit to press release submission sites in order to get your press release out and visible. Ever since the Google Panda update, links from the paid press release submission sites have become less valuable for SEO. You could just submit online press releases for free via PRLog.com as your method of press release distribution, however it’s best for this to be a compliment to sending to a list of bloggers and news websites that you have established a relationship with.
In summary, press release optimization for the digital community (which is anyone with a website designed to make money) is not hard, but often overlooked. These SEO PR tips are going to give your business an edge, so start implementing them today. That’s not a request, that’s an order!
Looking for more tips? Read our link building for SEO page. It’s chock full of excellent tips to move your site to page 1 in Google.